My grandma was the best person I've ever known and will ever know. She was my rock. She was my role model. She was my angel. As a kid, I'd gladly pass up nights at a friends house for nights at Grandma's. No one can make chicken n' dumplins like she did. Her skin was like silk. Summers were spent at her house playing outside or inside watching Days of Our Lives and The Price is Right.
Grandma was a very religious and faithful person...through her good times and her bad. She never doubted God and never turned her back on him. Not easy to do when you battle cancer for 6 years. Six long years. I'll never forget the day they told us she had cancer. Ovarian. Less than a year to live. She proved them wrong. She even went into remission twice. The last time though, the cancer came back stronger than ever. They tried to do surgery but Grandma's body was just too weak. So we waited. They told us it would be within 24 hours. She proved them wrong again. 4 days later...my angel on Earth got her wings. I know that sounds corny, but she really was my angel.
God, I miss her so much. I'd give anything to have her back. I would've given anything to have had her at our wedding...to have her there when we announced the pregnancy...to have her at the hospital to see Elaina the day she was born.
I believe in angels. I know she's seen Elaina...and when Elaina just looks off at nothing and smiles, I know she's seeing her angel...my angel. I've tried to "tell" Elaina about her great-grandma, but I break down everytime. I hope that one day I can explain to her how wonderful of a woman she was. Seeing my mom with Elaina now makes me so happy because I want Elaina to have that relationship with her that I had with my grandma.
My goal in life isn't to make a million, live in a mansion, or have a fancy car...my goal in life is to be to my children and grandchildren what Grandma was to hers. Those aren't big shoes to fill...those are HUGE shoes. Nothing makes me happier than to hear my dad (her son) tell me how much I'm like her. That's the best compliment anyone could ever give me.
No comments:
Post a Comment