Thursday, September 2, 2010

...counting your blessings

I get mad at myself sometimes because I feel like I go throughout life and don't appreciate all the good things that I've been blessed with...until I see, hear, or read something that smacks me in the face and says "BE GRATEFUL!"

A local family is going through a very tough time (understatement to say the least) that I honestly can't even imagine experiencing. Their son, who turns 18 tomorrow, is dying from cancer...they expect him to pass at any moment. God. I can't even begin to think about hearing the words "Your child has cancer". His mother keeps an online journal for him and I read a few entries this morning and eventually had to put my laptop away because I was crying so hard. This family is so strong and believing in God until the very end. I hate that I had to read her heartbreaking words to make me realize how much I have to be thankful for.

The past 5 1/2 weeks have been the best of my life. I couldn't even begin to thank God enough for sending this precious bundle into my world. But then I can't help but feel guilty for all the times I've cringed when she starts to cry, all the times I've been short with Kevin because I'm sleep deprived, or the times I've complained about having so many visitors. I can't promise I won't be hateful and I can't say I always enjoy 3a.m. feedings but I can say that I thank God for giving me someone who loves me more than anything and puts up with my moods and I thank him for a healthy baby girl who has the strength to wake-up at 3a.m. and cry for food. I vow now to take a moment every day and thank God for all my blessings...my family, my friends, my health, my job...all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment