Sunday, April 11, 2010

24 week check-up!

Friday was my 24 week check-up.

Things went well, for the most part. My first stop was the potty to leave a urine sample, then the nurse weighed me and took my blood pressure. I'd been below my starting weight up until this appointment...now I'm +2 lbs. Nothing to complain about. At 24 (almost 25) weeks pregnant, I'm thinking +2 is pretty darn good. My mom only gained 17 lbs with my brother and 21 lbs with me, so I'm hoping my weight gain stays in that range too! For my starting BMI my suggested weight gain is 15-25 lbs and for my health, as well as Elaina's, I want to keep it as close to that as possible. I know some people say "Aw, you're gonna gain more than that. Just eat what you want" but I want to stay as healthy as possible so Elaina will too! I'm not saying I'm dieting or not eating what I want, but I do try to make wise choices. If I do gain more than 25, oh well. I won't be upset.

After the weight and BP check, the nurse listened to Elaina's heartbeat. It was kinda funny. Everytime she'd put the doppler over Elaina and find her heartbeat, Elaina would kick the doppler and move...so the nurse would have to start her search all over again. ha. Stubborn, like her daddy! ;) (Kung Fu baby anyone?)

I got to see Dr Harmon again this time and I must say, I really like her. I'm assigned to another doctor (which I haven't got to meet yet b/c the appointment when I was suppose to meet him, he got called out for an emergency c-section) but I really think I'm going to ask next time if I can be reassigned. Dr Harmon is just so nice and easy to talk to.

She told me my urine sample showed there were white blood cells present, which she informed me meant I have a urinary tract infection. She asked if my back had been hurting lately and I said "oh my gosh yes!!"...and according to her, while part of that pain is just a normal pregnancy pain, the majority of it was from the infection. Thank God they found that infection because my back pain was getting unbearable...to the point where Kevin would have to help me off the couch and out of the bed. So, she prescribed me a 7 day antibiotic and said they would make sure to check next time that everything had cleared up. Dr Harmon also measured my stomach (first time I've had that done) and said I was measuring perfectly. Yippee for that!

Last, I asked her about cord blood banking.

((dr harmon recommended CBR for cord blood banking))

Kevin and I have discussed the topic since finding out we were pregnant. Before researching it, I didn't really get what the big uproar was about, but now it makes so much more sense to me. Not only that, but some of Kevin's family members have kids who have had life changing injuries and could have used that childs cord blood to help them. However, cord blood banking is so new that they didn't really have that information available when these kids were born. So, Kevin and I see it as a blessing that so much research and information is out there that we can make a conscious decision on banking. By all means, we hope that we NEVER have to use Elaina's cord blood...but the 'What If?' is always there and I'd feel so guilty if we had this opportunity and turned it down only to regret that decision in 5,10,15 years. The cord blood banking is NOT cheap, but Kevin's parents have seen how it could've changed the lives of people close to them, and have offered to pay for it as a gift to us AND Elaina. Honestly, there's no better gift they could've offered. We're so grateful to them...and like they've told us, having that reassurance that if something did happen to her, we'd have her cord blood to possibly cure her is priceless. Dr. Harmon said she suggests cord blood banking to anyone who asks her about it. She said the results they've had with it already is amazing, and to just think about what they'll be able to cure in 5 or 10 more years. I know cord blood is controversial with some people, and to each their own, but for Kevin and I the health of Elaina is more important than any political debate.

I go back to the Dr on May 6th...then they'll do the glucose test (which I'm dreading), a HIV test that's required by the state of TN, and my thyroid blood work. Can't say I'm excited about all the blood I'll be losing. ha.

Oh, and we started on the nursery this weekend. It's painted and looking gorgeous! I'll post pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. That cracks me up she didn't like the doppler. She's feisty already!

    I love the pictures of the nursery! I can't wait to see when its completed!

    ReplyDelete